Saturday, July 9, 2011

Widgets

Pet Project : Little Princess's Castle


My first project... for my daughter Neha..."Little Princess's Castle" the room which got me Ohdeeoh's "The Smaller Cooler room Contest" Award 2009 in the International Category and also the motivation for Hopskoch.

This is where it all began...what inspired me and started my journey as an interior designer. The first kids' room I designed and what made me make this my profession and a hobby. I had always dabbled in different interior design projects. But that was just putting ready made stuff together...to make a room look good. I had never tried to create stuff, which is what I did here..design first, make later. All of this room was custom built as per my design, it was a relatively small room about 10' x 12' with a ceiling height 8.6'. It was a challenge as I wanted it all ...the castle theme with all that is needed in a regular kids room...A bed, a study table, wardrobe and storage space for books, toys and all the other things that kids accumulate. My daughter like all little children loved stairs. As our apartment was on a single floor and did not have any stairs, I wanted to create one in the home. I also wanted a secret place or a nook which I still recomend to all my clients and readers. Children love their littlle space, and a time of their own.

Let me take you on a tour and show you...

This is pretty much the whole room...a room loved by all her friends who wanted to come over and play... and miss it when they dont. The stairs lead to a balcony which is conected to the slim tower that holds most of her toys.  There are more toys under the stairs as well.This is followed by her study table and then comes her wardrobe tower. Yeah.. well I almost forgot the bed ... its under her study loft (Next Pic)


The bed slides from under the study loft only when she needs it ..after a long and tiring day




The door to her room has a stained glass fairy princess. As it slid open there was a flight of stairs to the balcony





The whimsical balcony.... was a place where she went when she was in a mood to read or play with her Barbies or even when she was upset with me. 





 A balcony which was enjoyed for pretend play when alone or with friends..for hours!


Loads of fun...loads of happy memories. And here I am now, enjoying this beautiful jounery....creating memories of a life time.